- Students in 4th through 8th grade in the La Mesa-Spring Valley school district are invited to audition.
- Each show involves a different number of actors, but there are generally three or four times as many students who audition than will become cast members.
- Directing and Production teams are made up of experienced volunteers, led by Dr. Mark Arapostathis
- Announcements - Each fall shortly after the start of school, PPJT announces to all LMSVSD elementary and middle school students the dates and requirements for auditions.
- Auditions - Generally occur in early September.
- Rehearsals - Generally begin after the mid-October break
- Performance Week - Depends on theater availability, but usually in March or April
Auditions begin with solo vocal peformances of show tunes chosen and memorized by the actors. Those called back for the second stage of auditions must learn and perform dance steps and dialogue.
Students who make it into the cast and their families should be prepared for a fun, exciting, and challenging experience, including:
- Full costuming (character shoes usually obtained by the actors)
- Professional-quality sets
- Choreography and Voice coaching in a group setting
- Expectation of memorizing and practicing at home
- Punctuality, consistency, and high standards of personal conduct
- Fundraising activities with minimum goals
- Rehearsals scheduled optionally on any weeknight (typically 4:30-6:30pm) and Saturday mornings (8:00-11:00am)
- Parent/guardian volunteer responsibilities throughout rehearsal phase
- Parent/guardian volunteer responsibilities during performance week